29 June 2007

geography related bitterness and affection

(and a lot of parenthetical expressions)

first, the bitterness:

I think "Live Free or Die Hard" should have something to do with New Hampshire.

affection:

The reason I have any bitterness about that is because I *HEART* New Hampshire. I have since before I moved here. I was thrilled that the winding stream that is life deposited me here. And I've lived in my current apartment longer than I've lived anywhere since I graduated from college. (Coming up on a year without moving at all, baby! Maybe someday I'll tell you about living overseas and going to grad school and then going overseas again and then job hunting and then picking up and moving w/o really having a job yet, because...you just gotta GO for it!, and the year I moved 3 times.)

I've mentioned this before, but I think Portsmouth, NH is pretty much the best city/town in the United States. I'm from upstate NY, as much as a Navy brat can be from anywhere (Ballston Spa...a very random, historic, and dichotomically charming and uninspiring small town north of Albany), but I love Portsmouth. It has the delicious historic district with the federal style houses painted marvelous colors that make my heart go pitter patter...old churches with amazing doors, stone and brick walkways; it exudes the very essence of New England. If I ever become a famous rockstar wedding photographer and can afford to live whereever I want, I will buy a brick home in Portsmouth.

So, Portsmouth and other NH brides...make my dream come true! I'll take good care of you, I promise!

1 comment:

rachel said...

I was wondering where you were going with this one... and then it tied together (?) in the end.